Vegan Carnitas Recipe
For those who choose to omit meat and other animal products from their diet, here is a delicious alternative that is sure to please everyone, regardless of dietary restrictions.
- 4 cans green/unripe jackfruit in brine (*can be found at Trader Joe’s or Asian food market. Make sure it is packed in water or brine, not syrup.)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2-3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 3-4 tbs of SoCal Cremosa Asada hot sauce
- ½ tbs onion powder
- ½ tbs garlic powder
- ½ tbs cumin
- ½ tbs oregano
- ½ tbs paprika
- ½-1 tbs cayenne
- ¾ cup canned pineapple chunks with juice
- 1 tbs agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste.
1. Set oven to 475F
2. Drain jackfruit and rinse very well under water
3. Using your hands, pull and tear jackfruit apart. Pinch and squeeze the solid parts to break into smaller pieces. Squeeze excess liquid out of pulled jackfruit.
4. Place pulled jackfruit in large mixing bowl and add chopped onion
5. Place remaining ingredients in a blender and pulse to a smoothie like consistency
6. Pour marinade into the bowl with jackfruit and chopped onion and massage well with your hands incorporating all the marinade
7. Taste jackfruit and adjust salt and/or seasonings as needed
8. Spread jackfruit evenly on a large, parchment paper lined cookie sheet
9. Bake for 35-45 minutes at 475F until jackfruit is a bit dried out and corners are starting to char.
10. Set oven to high broil and cook another 5-10 minutes until desired charred-ness is reached.
11. Taste jackfruit carnitas and add salt as needed.
- Makes about 8-10 tacos
- Serve with toasted corn tortillas, chopped onion and cilantro, and fresh lime. Top off with your favorite SoCal Hot Sauce!
Huge thanks to our good friend, David Lopez, for this outstanding recipe. You can view more of his creations on his Instagram Page